For the most part, you don't need near-perfect use of grapple -- you just need to be using it at almost all times.
To clarify, you can make large corrections as long as you are (1) your grapple is latched, (2) you are using the grapple's right-click, and (3) your course corrections aren't more than 120 degrees or so from the direction of the latch point.
That said, course corrections without doing this will eat up a lot of your speed.
There are probably a few ways to make it easier to maneuver:
- Easier grapple use
- Faster grapple latch movement
- Faster weapon switch to/from grapple
- Other movement:
- Faster weapon switch to/from TB
- Faster weapon switch to/from RL, or stronger rocket inheritance
- Slower speed loss when applying impulse in a direction other than that of your velocity
- Another movement option with less penalty -- e.g., holding shift could activate 0g-thrusters that allow stronger course corrections, but cause soft damage while active